As we are all adjusting to new rules and realities, the downhill day trips team is monitoring the ongoing public health situation. As our 2020/2021 season is still months away, much of our planning does take place in the summer and fall months. Currently, larger resorts such as Blue Mountain are only beginning to slowly open their summer operations and do not have any updates for the winter season. We are hopeful that our winter will include skiing and snowboarding, however, it may look a little different. We can expect fewer people on chair lifts and few people in the lodges. As new guidelines and policies emerge, the downhill daytrips committee will keep HPSC members in the loop and updated on decisions or revisions to club policies. Suggestions and feedback are always welcome, and we look forward to seeing you on the hills soon!
It has been a great season so far . . . but it isn’t over yet!!
However, day trips will only run if members sign up. While buses in January and February were guaranteed to run, in March we need to ensure that trips are economically feasible. They will be cancelled if there are not enough members registered. And remember that if the bus doesn’t run, we do not provide lessons for drive up registrants.
Some highlights in March:
- Our only trip to Beaver Valley Ski Club – home of Avalanche, Ontario’s steepest groomed run, on Wednesday March 18th.
- Our one and only ‘Sleep in Saturday’ on March 21st to Caledon Ski Club. Pick up times are 45 minutes later than the usual Saturday times so you can sleep in. We will be departing from 400/7 at 8:45. If you usually ski on the weekend, and don’t get a chance to go to the private clubs, this is your opportunity!
- There will also be a Skiis and Biikes demo tent at Caledon that day (please see the separate article).
- Due to the popularity of this year’s Sundays at Blue trips, the board has approved adding in two more Sunday trips (March 15th and 29th) that were not on the original schedule. Way to go to the Sunday@Blue Crew for coming out regularly and making this possible.
- Due to popular demand, the Davenport and Yonge pickup location has been added to all weekend daytrips in March.
Come enjoy some spring skiing and before saying goodbye to our 70th HPSC season!
After the extreme weather conditions, and day trips cancellations last weekend with safety of our members being the top priority for the club, we are announcing a new date for our Annual Tradition: Double Double with lessons in the morning and in the afternoon. New date is Saturday February 8 at MSLM. Register early, we will have double double buses and drive up spots available based on your interest.
Our Downhill and Snowboard Instructors traveled to Tremblant Dec 13-15 for their annual Outdoor training clinic. They spent 2 days training with the Level 4 Instructors from Tremblant to get ready and motivated for teaching this season. Conditions this year were variable with fog, rain and then ice, however great fun and learning was had by all. About 20 keen instructors drove to Tremblant ahead of time to get ready and a few other continued on to Mont-Ste-Anne after for more training! Can’t get enough on snow adventures!!
Your instructors are continuously updating their skills with ongoing training from our Level 4 Sandy Gartner throughout the season.
We are happy to inform our members that, in this our 70th anniversary year, we have entered into an exclusive sponsorship agreement with a store many of you are familiar with, Skiis & Biikes.
As many of you know, Skiis & Biikes is the largest snow sports retailer in Ontario. Started in 1978, the family owned business has grown into a major supplier of goods and services for skiers and snowboarders with locations in Mississauga, Toronto and Collingwood.
We are excited about what this will mean for our membership. Below are a few benefits of our sponsorship agreement for our members in 2019/20:
- Discount Shopping Nights with 15% off ski equipment, clothing and merchandise happening December 5th at their Toronto and Mississauga locations. Find out more.
- a 50% discount on one Ski Tuning per member that will be available until the end of the current ski season
- Monthly Ski Tuning Clinics for members with special discounts on ski tuning materials and supplies
- Skiis & Biikes will invite HPSC members to attend Demo Days for their Downhill and Cross Country ski brands at resorts who host these events in Southern Ontario
- Race Day prizes for Downhill, Snowboard and Cross Country Races
Many of you are already social media friends with Skiis & Biikes. We encourage you to post your experiences on Facebook, Twitter, share news and events that you believe would be of interest.
We look forward to a fruitful and exciting partnership with Skiis & Biikes and hope our members enjoy the benefits.
A note from Skiis & Biikes
Our mission for 41 years in business has always been to get families outside. We are a family-owned business with an endless passion for skiing and adventure and we pour this enthusiasm into everything we do at Skiis & Biikes. We are excited to partner with the High Park Ski Club and get to know all the members who are as passionate about winter sports as we are. Come by any of our shops in Mississauga, Yonge St, Collingwood, or Caledon to get the gear you need to be ready for a great winter outdoors. We are proud to offer Performance and Bootfit Guarantees so you can ski with the knowledge that you will be comfortable and having fun on the hill. We’re looking forward to meeting everyone in the HPSC!
Have you wanted to learn to ski or snowboard? Or get back into the sport? Or don’t have anyone to go with? Or just don’t want to drive all the way up to the resort yourself. You are who HPSC is made for. Come test us out!!
On December 7th we want to welcome all potential members (and of course members) who would like to find out what an HPSC downhill day is like. This is the first of our two annual Test Drive days which means registration is open to one and all.
In addition to a discounted group lift ticket, as on all of our daytrips, all who register (including non-members) can participate in our free lessons by our CSIA qualified ski instructors.Continue reading “Come Test Us Out!! – Experience a HPSC Ski Day for Yourself! Test Drive Day – December 7th @MSLM”
The downhill day trips schedule is now finalized and is currently available as a downloadable PDF on the website under Our Trips – Downhill day trips – Downhill day trips registration. https://hpsc.ca/resources/Documents/Day%20Trips/Downhill_Day_Trip_Schedule_2019-20.pdfContinue reading “Downhill Daytrips Schedule Now Available”
Management of Daytrips for 2019-20 Season
As you may be aware, Erika Clark, the Director of Downhill Day Trips, resigned in late August. In the meantime we have been searching for a new Director to take over the portfolio. In late September, long-time member Justin Graham agreed to take over the logistics and management of Downhill daytrips for the upcoming season. However, for personal reasons, he has chosen not to be the Director. His title is Assistant Director of Day Trips. Christine Bellerose, the Director of Ski School has agreed to also represent Day Trips on the HPSC Board of Directors.
Erika is not going away but needed to step away from the Board to concentrate on her new job. You will still see her on the bus, and she has agreed to help out where and when she can. We would like to sincerely thank Erika for her fantastic leadership of Day Trips, and her extensive contribution to the club, over the last year and a half. Good luck Erika and see you on the slopes!
Downhill Day Trips Schedule
The downhill day trips schedule is now finalized and is currently available as a downloadable PDF on the website under Our Trips – Downhill day trips – Downhill day trips registration. You need to be logged in to the site. https://hpsc.ca/resources/Documents/Day%20Trips/Downhill_Day_Trip_Schedule_2019-20.pdf
We are working on adding all of the trips to the calendar but wanted to make sure that you have the schedule to start planning out your ski season. The first trips will be open for registration by early November.
Our first scheduled day trip is the annual Test Drive day to Mount St. Louis on Saturday December 7.
As we have in the past few seasons, most Saturdays we are scheduled to go to Mount St. Louis; Sundays and Mondays to Blue Mountain; and Wednesdays to the variety of private clubs in the Collingwood area. We have also added in a few new resorts – Mansfield Ski Club and Caledon Ski Club in Ontario; and Holiday Valley in New York.
Some highlights for the upcoming season:
- December 7 – First scheduled day trip and first Test Drive Day to Mount St. Louis.
- December 30 – A special Holiday Week trip to a location the club has not gone to in a very long time – Mansfield Ski Club.
- January 11 – Member Appreciation Day and Double Double lesson day at Mount St. Louis. This is a Member Only trip.
- February 15 – Special Family Day Weekend day trip to Holiday Valley NY. Note this the only daytrip we will be running over the Family Day weekend. This is a Member Only trip.
- February 29 – Test Drive #2 at Mount St. Louis
- March 21 – Sleep in Saturday. We will also be going to a new resort for weekend skiers – Caledon Ski Club.
- Numerous Pizza days throughout the season at Mount St. Louis and Blue Mountain.
- Almost every day trip is a Bring a Friend trip – please see the schedule for Bring a Friend trips.
New Pick Up Location Approved by the Board – Liberty Village
We are happy to announce that the HPSC Board of Directors has approved the addition of a new Downhill Day Trips pick up location.
When we have enough registrants for a second bus, we will now be using a new pick up in the Liberty Village area to accommodate the growing number of members in that part of the city. The pick-up location will be to the west of Lamport Stadium on Fraser Avenue. This will be the second pickup after Queens Quay.
For those using public transit, the King streetcar goes right past, and the Dufferin bus is just a couple of blocks away. The Exhibition GO station is also within walking distance. For those who drive, there is a Green P paid parking lot on the south side of Lamport Stadium.
NOTE – This location will only be listed and used (along with Queens Quay) when we have added a second bus to a trip after we have filled the first bus and have sufficient members on the wait list to justify a second bus.
Information on all of our pick-up locations is located on the website: https://hpsc.ca/Day-Trip-Pick-Up-Locations
The temperatures are falling and the leaves are turning…this means it’s time for SkiFit, HPSC’s popular pre-ski season fitness program.
Every Saturday, join ski instructors John McHutchion and Karen Evans and their amazing crew of volunteers in High Park for a variety of fitness activities. There’s a level for everyone – for those who want a tough workout to those who just want to get out and move around.
The best part is the post workout brunch at the Grenadier Café!
If you’re new the club, it’s a great opportunity to meet new people before the snow flies. Returning members can reconnect with old friends.
SkiFit will end with our participation in the popular annual event, Climb the Mountain, the first weekend in November in Blue Mountain.
Below are the dates. All sessions begin at 9am in High Park, meeting at The Grenadier Café parking lot.
September 7, 14, 21, 28
October 5, 19, 26 (note there is no SkiFit on Thanksgiving weekend)
Nov. 2: Climb the Mountain
Click here for the event schedule on the website: